PDA

View Full Version : Favorite duck ammo

drake
10-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Was mostly shooting Federal Speed-Shok last year. Had a box of Remington HyperSonics that seemed to just make a louder report. Both shot just fine. I think I'll pick up a box of Hevi-Shot for this year, just to try them out. Curious to hear opinions.

slimer
10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I've always shot whatever steel is on sale. Most of the other stuff is gimmicks or just way too expensive to be worth it for duck and goose hunting.

Slab
10-14-2013, 07:14 PM
I've always shot whatever steel is on sale. Most of the other stuff is gimmicks or just way too expensive to be worth it for duck and goose hunting.

I have a tendency to agree with slimer. Although having said that, some of that expensive stuff does give you a bigger kick. But It's all in shot placement anyway, just shoot any shot good, and you'll have fun.

drake
10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
So.... I just looked up the Hevi-Shot Duck ammo to check prices. Yeah, I don't think I'll be bothering to try them this year (or maybe ever). 3" 12g are $40-$45 for a box of 10. Yikes.

Slab
10-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Over $4 a pop. Heck with how I shoot, that would cost me a fortune.

drake
10-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Over $4 a pop. Heck with how I shoot, that would cost me a fortune.

Yeah, I can't really see using this for waterfowl. I did buy their turkey ammo and it patterned the best of the 5 different ones
I tested. The Winchester supreme was a close second with my shotgun so there I'd be willing to splurge for the extra pellets on the target. I would have liked to try this waterfowl load if it were $1 a shell. Oh well.

Crappie predator
10-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Steel #2 kent of fiochie (sp?)

www.crappiepredator.com

Percidae_Papermouth
10-21-2013, 07:04 AM
I am partial to either Winchester # 4 or federal blackcloud #3, both pattern well out of my 535 with a mod choke. As drake said as long as it patterns well your good to go. I tried some cheap Remington ammo, got it on sale for $10 at bps, was low brass 2 3/4 worst stuff I've ever put down my barrel.... Dirty load, patterned awful out of my 500

BratsNMustard
10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Black Cloud 3" #4 works best for me, but I also shoot Federal 2 3/4 inch #4 as well.

drake
11-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Since a few of you said you use black cloud, I grabbed a box of that and a box of blind side. Could not get myself to buy hevi-shot. Still cannot wrap my head around spending nearly 6x the cost of simple steel.

GrnTmbrHntr
11-25-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't need expensive shells to kill ducks. I shoot Winchester Xperts in #2 or BB (3" shells). That's what I can get the cheapest.
It is not about how expensive the shell is, it is about learning to use decoys effectively, proper concealment and good calling to put the ducks at a proper distance in order to make clean kills.
We effectively put ducks in the 15-25 yard range every day we hunt.

kswaterfowler
11-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Only time I shoot hevishot is at turkeys or when I am shooting my 20 ga at geese. Even then I bought a bunch on clearance for $10/box. 12 ga gets Federal 3" 3s or Fiocchi 3" 2s through a factory IC choke. Patternmaster with PMC BBBs when targeting just geese.

20 ga is Drylok 3" 2s out of a LM choke.

Biggest part of selecting shells is finding something that patterns well out of your gun/choke combo.

GrnTmbrHntr
11-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I did not mention choke. I'm not big on changing my chokes around. Once I get a gun set, I leave it alone. I shoot a Remington 870 SM and I shoot the modified choke in it all the time. Doves, Ducks, Geese all get the same choke with the same shells. I'm use to the gun and it makes a difference. We do not shoot ducks or geese beyond 35 yards.

drake
11-26-2013, 07:44 AM
I don't need expensive shells to kill ducks. I shoot Winchester Xperts in #2 or BB (3" shells). That's what I can get the cheapest.

I'm with ya on that. Bought a case of federal steel last year. Between two of us we used a box and a half. Last weekend, I had a coupon and figured I'd try a couple other types just to try them. Might shoot a few when hunting and then later just pattern them to see what they do through my barrel. Of course, the order there is a little backwards, but time wasn't cooperating. :)

drake
11-26-2013, 07:46 AM
Only time I shoot hevishot is at turkeys or when I am shooting my 20 ga at geese. Even then I bought a bunch on clearance for $10/box.

Now that's more reasonable. Where did you find a clearance on them?

kswaterfowler
11-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Roger's sporting goods had them on clearance a couple years ago. I bought 2 cases. Then they had hevishot turkey loads on sale $10 a box so I bought several of those. Have to shoot non toxic some of the places I turkey hunt. I shoot a couple cases of steel shot a year so it would get expensive to shoot all hevishot all the time.

drake
11-26-2013, 05:56 PM
I shoot a couple cases of steel shot a year so it would get expensive to shoot all hevishot all the time.

Yeah, they must sell enough to stay in business with probably great margins, but I can only see using their turkey loads for turkey hunting.

Percidae_Papermouth
11-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Couple of cases? As in 10 boxes of 25 shells? I'm lucky to fire 5-6 shots per hunt, and two boxes a season. You must hunt Alot!

GrnTmbrHntr
12-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Couple of cases? As in 10 boxes of 25 shells? I'm lucky to fire 5-6 shots per hunt, and two boxes a season. You must hunt Alot!

There's already been well over a case of shells shot out our blind this year. I generally shoot 2-3 cases a year myself. I don't hunt hard until after December 15 when our deer season closes. I'll be in the duck blind near 40 days a year..

drake
12-02-2013, 07:42 AM
I'll be in the duck blind near 40 days a year..

Wow. That's cool.

We'll need to do a weigh-in. Who's got that beat? Crappie Predator might have a chance from what I recall.

kswaterfowler
12-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Last year we had water was 2010 and I shot 195 ducks and I don't remember geese. Already hunted 25+ days counting teal season and December just started. Still have 2 months left to hunt and 4 boxes left of case #1 for the season.

Crappie predator
12-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Ya I average 130 days a year waterfowl hunting with early teal/goose, regular duck, Canada goose, and conservation light goose spring season. Well into my 3rd case this year. Last year I shot 11 and a half cases and we killed 829 ducks out of my boat. Didn't keep exact numbers of geese but estimate 60 Canada's, 75 white fronts, and 500+ snows

www.crappiepredator.com

drake
12-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Got a chance to pattern a few different loads through the Vinci with modified choke. Here are some pics. First was was blindside 3"2s high velocity, second black cloud 3"3s, and last was federal speed shok 3"2s. The large holes were due to how we were attaching the paper to the board (with a frozen corn cob). The blindside didn't seem to do as well as the other 2 from Federal, but maybe it was due to the high velocity type I bought, which had less shot in it.

Percidae_Papermouth
12-22-2013, 08:33 PM
Is that a 10" circle at 30 yds? I just bought a value pk of blindside # 2 s, had 4 boxes in a ammo box for $99.. They kill ducks for sure! I need to start preparing in advance... Order a case from Mack's prairie wings... Last couple boxes have been in a panicked hurry with only a few shells left the day before the next hunt.

drake
12-26-2013, 09:26 AM
8" circle at 30 yards.