PDA

View Full Version : Bow hunting turkey

drake
08-27-2014, 08:35 PM
So I might be able to go turkey hunting this fall. There's one hang up though, I probably need to do it with a bow. Haven't even shot a compound bow so far. Which leads me to a few questions that one of you may be able to answer. Does it make sense to buy a used one and where? Any comments on getting something like a PSE Stinger 3G? Cabela's has a sale and that seems to be the best value with good reviews.

GrnTmbrHntr
08-28-2014, 07:22 AM
If you know some bow hunters, I'm sure they can point you in the direction of a good archery shop. The archery shop would be the place to buy new or used so you can be measured and outfitted properly. Also service after the sale is huge.

Nothing wrong with a used bow. You don't necessarily need the bow that will shoot 355 ft/sec either. Practice and making the shot is much better than speed and marginal shooting. Dead is dead and it doesn't matter the arrow speed or brand/price of the bow.

drake
09-05-2014, 08:32 PM
Shop near me seems reputable, and talked to one of the guys there. They said they only really have high-end used stuff, which is too bad. In new, he suggested a Hoyt Ignite for me. I think he said $300 bare and like $565 with the typical add-ones like sight, quiver, stabilizer, and wrist loop. I was hoping to get something used there cheaper, so not sure I will be going turkey hunting then. Maybe something will change. Any thoughts on the info I received? Curious to learn more about bows for when I feel like dropping the cash.

GrnTmbrHntr
09-07-2014, 10:15 AM
I would have to do some research on the Hoyt bows, but the end price sounds close for an equipped bow. You can definitely get less expensive with a used bow. My best advise is to buy it from an archery shop and not an individual, unless you really know the individual and trust them.