PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone field goose hunt?

Percidae_Papermouth
11-22-2013, 05:52 AM
Was thinking about trying it come January. There is a lot of geese that pass daily over a field I cross to get to my blind. I have 3 herters foamers and 6 carry lite floaters, was thinking of burying the keels and giving it a try. Hate to buy more decoys.. As I already have too many... Doz woodducks,1.5 doz mallards, 6 blackducks, 6 BW teal, doz bluebills, 6 canvasbacks, 12 goldeneyes, I think that's it lol.

kswaterfowler
11-22-2013, 07:31 PM
You would be running traffic. With 9 decoys it will be extremely difficult to pull them into a field they aren't in.

Percidae_Papermouth
11-23-2013, 03:51 AM
Usually 40-60 geese in one group that passes over... If I were to go buy some shells how many would I need to stand a chance in them decoying?

kswaterfowler
11-23-2013, 09:17 AM
How good are you with a goose call?

Percidae_Papermouth
11-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Not good, good enough to call a pair in but have never had a good group decoy in.

kswaterfowler
11-23-2013, 06:27 PM
If they all come in one big group then its a one shot deal. You have to make them think that field is the new X if you can't get on the X. We use decoys and calling. I am not good, but my brother can rock a short reed and make geese do things they don't want to. We also use large numbers of decoys to make them think that is the new eating spot. I think you would be better suited to find someone that already has the equipment and invite them to hunt the field. Trafficing birds can be very frustrating, but also very rewarding.