PDA

View Full Version : chest waders vs waist waders vs hip waders

drake
10-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Last season I found some waist waders in the bargain cave at Cabela's. Later I was thinking that I should have gotten chat waders. Now I was reading comments from fishermen that the tend to like the waist waders after using both for years. So does that hold true for hunting also?

Crappie predator
10-15-2013, 09:51 PM
I have warn them all knee high boots, hip waders, waist highs, and chest waders. When around water I always go with chest waders. Doesn't matter when or where you always need another couple inches to reach that last decoy, get that downed bird or cross that ditch.

www.crappiepredator.com

drake
10-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Good points. I guess for me the waist waders should be good since I wouldn't want to walk that deep into the water anyway. Thanks for the insight.

Crappie predator
10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Chest waders IMO are more comfortable because of the shoulder straps take the weight off your hips. They are also warmer because they keep your core dry from splashing ( dogs, decoys exc) and out of the wind. Just because you have it doesn't mean you have to go deeper. If you don't want to go into deeper water, you don't have to. That's my opinion, of course.

www.crappiepredator.com

drake
10-17-2013, 07:10 PM
But I was trying to rationalize my purchase of waist waders.... :)

Crappie predator
10-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Haha either way don't go in over your head lol

www.crappiepredator.com

Percidae_Papermouth
10-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Whether in 2 ft of water or more if you get tripped on a muskrat or beaver path or a Cyprus knee or stump you will fall to your knees this will put water over your waist, don't ask how I know... Also the most important part of waders is make sure they fit properly, the boot (wear thick socks so your feet don't move) and shoulder straps should be snug but most important make sure the waist belt is tight, this is your last defense from cold water when you dunk. Also if you do go in the drink, don't sweat the decoys or take your waders off, your body temp will warm the water. Btw it will take your breath. It's a good idea to use a stick or paddle while wading.

BratsNMustard
10-21-2013, 03:13 PM
I'll take chest waders anytime.

drake
10-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I'll be able to sell the waist waders and find a good deal on chest waders.