PDA

View Full Version : Decoy weights

Percidae_Papermouth
12-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I just changed over all my dekes (well my woodies and mallards) from straps to keelgrabbers... Two different brands GHG and Ace, ace is the better of the two because they have holes and a string to grab to make set up easier... So I drilled holes in all the GHG ones and did those the same way... It's a world of difference! Cuts set up and pick up time in half. I am considering doing the same to my geese, teal, and divers.

Does anyone here pour lead? They sell the mold for keelgrabbers... Seems someone could sell em for less than $20 per dozen

GrnTmbrHntr
12-19-2013, 05:48 AM
I pour my decoy weights, my catfishing weights and my jig heads for crappie fishing. It sure doesn't cost $20/dozen for me. It depends on the supply of lead you have and what you want. Many people do not want a hard lead (which is found in wheel weights)so they can pour strap weights. I like a softer lead for my jig heads, but for the style of decoy weights I use, it doesn't matter.

Just be mindful if you start pouring your own, wear a face shield and always be in a very well ventilated area as the fumes are not good for the body. Make sure you wash your hands prior to putting your fingers near your mouth or touching food or anything else you might put in your mouth.

kswaterfowler
12-21-2013, 11:54 AM
I poured all my own decoy weights. 2 oz egg sinkers for duck decoys, 4 oz bottle sinkers for goose decoys. All my stuff is texas rigged. I can pick up my spread in a couple minutes.