PDA

View Full Version : Coldest waterfowl hunt?

drake
12-14-2013, 11:18 AM
So we had 4 degrees Fahrenheit at 5am on our first day. What's the coldest weather you've experienced when hunting?

Percidae_Papermouth
12-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Nowhere near that... In va it don't get too cold, however I had to break 1" ice last season on the closing day... Didn't do squat that day either but it was 28 degrees

kswaterfowler
12-14-2013, 01:43 PM
0 with a wind chill near -20. Waders flash froze when you stepped out of the water. I've shot geese in the fields under similar condition.

Crappie predator
12-14-2013, 04:33 PM
Coldest I have seen was -14 with a 20mph wind so the wind chill had to be around -30 or colder. I was guiding at a local club and we killed over 50 Canada geese out of my pit that day. This last Thursday it was -3 wind chill was -18 busted 3" ice to get out to the main lake but we killed a 2 man limit by 7:45 and were back in the truck by 8:30

www.crappiepredator.com

GrnTmbrHntr
12-16-2013, 06:49 AM
-6 for me. Seeing how most of us in the south hunt in flooded fields or in timber, hunting in temps below 25 usually presents an interesting challenge to say the least. In 1981, we had some severe cold weather and a buddy and myself looking at ducks on the Mississippi River. Wasn't long we were in a boat in the river and it took minutes to kill a 2 man limit.

I would prefer not to hunt when it is near that cold. Every year when we get a week or so of below freezing temps, we keep a hole open in the timber by motoring in every 3 to 4 hours and washing the ice out. Lot of work but usually worth it.